Just a quick update on how Ammon's doing. I'd love to report that all is well .....but I'd be lying. Unfortunately, Ammon has had a LOT of pain when urinating. He held his urine ALL night Monday night (of course....the one night I actually want him to wake up with a wet diaper, he keeps it dry). As he started to pee in the morning the pain woke him up and he refused to let the rest out. He held it, and held it, and held it. He runs around, and around, and around and jumps all over the place to keep from peeing. I thought his bladder would explode. When the hospital called to check on him that morning (around 10:45 am), I told them he still had not urinated. They encouraged me to give him more water so he wouldn't be able to hold it any longer (and it would dilute it so it wouldn't be as irritating). He drank the water well, fortunately. But he kept refusing to go pee. I kept telling him that if just lets it out it will probably only hurt at first, but it will feel better. Finally, Grandma and Aunt Doreen stopped by at just the right time and brought Joe & Connor. This provided enough distraction that he just couldn't hold it any longer and he ran into his room and let it out (fortunately we still had the diaper on him because there was no way he was going on the toilet in that agitated, can't stay still state). He was so relieved to finally have it out. He said with great emotion and fists pumping for emphasis, "Mommy, I did it! It hurt at first, but I kept going and D I D N ' T G I V E U P !!!" That was too cute. We were so grateful for Grandma and Aunt Doreen stopping by at just the right time. That was an answer to prayers for help!
We were so relieved and thought the worst of it was over. Fast forward a few hours. We had continued to encourage him to drink a lot of water, so now it was time to go pee again. He was nervous, yet we convinced him to just try to go pee. Well, as soon as it started to come down the "tube" he started screaming and jumping around in pain. Oh no, not again. Yep, we went through the same thing. Ammon said, "I need Grandma and Aunt Doreen to come back again!!!" Well, to make a long story short, it was another fight to get him to finally let it out. And it's been that way every time ever since. I called the doctor's today and a nurse called me back around 3:45 this afternoon. She said it's not unusual for them to still experience pain a couple days afterwards, and that the older children seem to have a harder time than the babies. Yes, I can see that! Probably because they are more aware and can express their pain and fears. Now I know why he was so miserable when he had MUCH MORE than this done at 13 months.
It has been very rough 2 days post-op, and it's not over yet. I know part of the problem is the pain, but the other factor is he's now very anxious about going pee. I'm sure the anxiety and holding urine WAY TOO LONG add to the pain. I've tried using breathing exercises, relaxation, etc to help him overcome his fears and relax.....but they aren't working.....or at least aren't working well enough.....yet.
A lot of tears have been shed, and not just Ammon's. For those of you who think I'm so strong, you should see me the last couple days. I have a really hard time hearing Ammon scream and cry and carry on like this. It grates on my nerves, especially when my pain and fatigue levels from my Fibromyalgia are as high as they've been lately. And in the frenzied state that occurs for about an hour or more before he finally pees, he doesn't listen and is very difficult to manage. So, it's been a good thing Jared's been home to help out when I'm at my wits end. Unfortunately, it's taken time away from studying for his mid-terms this week.
The last two days have made Monday seem like a walk in the park. Mott's did an awesome job preparing us for the surgery, but no preparation for what would come afterwards - when they're at home under YOUR care. That has been much harder to deal with. Now I REALLY pray Ammon won't have to have anything else done down the road. After he started to experience the pain Monday night, he said through his tears, "What did they do to my pee pee? I don't want to go back there again!!" Uh oh. That's not good.....
Anyway, tomorrow is a new day and I'm hoping and praying for the best. Hopefully the pain will be gone and he will be able to get over his anxiety. And if not, I'll be praying my heart out for patience and guidance to know what to do to help him.
Well, that's my update. So much for being quick!!! (I'd be rich if I was a writer and got paid by the word!!)
No comments:
Post a Comment