WHEW!!! What a day. Ammon's surgical procedure was delayed over 3 hours!! Instead of 3:15, they didn't start until almost 6:30 pm!!! Ammon had not had anything to eat since 8 am and nothing to drink since noon. I really don't like having afternoon surgeries. It's hard enough for little ones to go without food or drink during the day like that, but by the afternoon things often get backed up which means a delay, meaning they have to go even longer without eating or drinking. FORTUNATELY, they are prepared for such situations and have lots of toys and things in the waiting area and they even had a Wii system. This was a total life saver! Ammon has only played a Wii (the only system he has ever played) a couple of times. He had a total blast and it made the time go by faster. His favorite was a driving game. You should have seen him boxing with his daddy! HILARIOUS!!! I was laughing so hard I had tears coming out my eyes! He was entertaining everyone else in the process!!! Unfortunately, he couldn't play that game for long. He seemed to get tired and a bit dizzy, probably from not having had anything to eat in nearly 10 hours (or drink in 5 hours).
ANYWAY....the procedure went great. The medical team was awesome. The anesthesiologist let me come into the OR with Ammon and stay until they put him under. What a surreal experience that was, let me just say. It was SO HELPFUL. Ammon seemed totally comfortable and it wasn't traumatic for him at all. Jared and I were just settling into the other waiting room and trying to eat our food we brought (we were starving too....we hadn't expected to wait that long), when Dr. Wan came walking towards us. At first I thought, "OH NO! WHAT HAPPENED!" He must have read the surprise on our faces and said, "Everything's great!" He said they were able to dilate it wonderfully and everything looks great all along his urethra and into his bladder. He hopes this will take care of things. We have to keep an eye on it for the next 3-4 months and come back. If it's still not right, he will have to go back in and re-do the tip (more reconstructive surgery like he had as a baby). I PRAY HE DOESN'T HAVE TO DO THAT!!!
Anyway, Ammon did great. He really was wonderful all day. We had a couple small melt downs at home before we left, but he was a real trooper the rest of the day. The nurses all said what a wonderful job he did. You should have seen how fast he devoured the popsicle they gave him in the recovery room!!! Then he must have eaten a dozen graham crackers. Unfortunately, the anesthesia made him overly emotional so he started crying at the drop of a hat. That was challenging!!!!!!!!! Fortunately, most of that wore off by the time we got home.
HOWEVER, we were warned by the doctor that the first one or two times he urinates it will be very painful. Well, when we got him home, we fed him and started to get him ready for bed. When he went to go pee, he started screaming!!!!! I think the neighbors probably heard him screaming!! Ammon has a very high pain tolerance, so I knew it had to hurt bad. We tried to get him to calm down and try going again....but he wouldn't have it. I tried putting him in a bath hoping that would help him relax a bit and finally pee. After 15-20 minutes of that not working, I called my mom and she and Doreen both confirmed what I had been wondering.....that he might be so sound asleep tonight from the anesthesia that he might sleep right through the pain when he pees. So, I got him ready for bed (glad for a change that he still wears a diaper at night) and told him what Grandma and Aunt Doreen said about how it might not hurt if he pees in his sleep. He was so happy he was practically shedding tears of relief. He said, "Oh, THANK YOU Mommy for telling me that!!! Thank you so much! I DON'T KNOW WHAT WOULD I EVER DO WITHOUT YOU!!!" What a precious Mommy moment! Thanks Mom and Doreen for helping make that one happen!
So, he was finally in bed and I walked out of his room about 10:30 pm. WHEW!! WHAT A DAY! I'm happy to report that he went right to sleep and I haven't heard any screaming!!! :)
Poor Jared had to rush to finish working on his assignment due by midnight tonight. Fortunately, he just finished it!! It would have been nice if he had a lap top he could have brought today. Then again, we waited FAR LONGER with Ammon than we waited without him (4 1/2 hrs versus 1 hour), and keeping Ammon happy while waiting seemed more important than school work.
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS!!!! And thank you for all the kind words of support, faith and encouragement. It all helps so much. Like Ammon said, "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WOULD EVER DO WITHOUT YOU!!!!"
Thanks for helping our little family out once again.
Love,
Suzie
No comments:
Post a Comment