Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Ammon's First Day of First Grade

Ammon's First Day of 1st Grade - Sept 6, 2011

Yes, our "baby" boy has started 1st grade!!!  Sometimes I just can't believe how fast the time is going by!

Ammon and I had fun the other day labeling all his school supplies with my labeler - something I've had for probably 10 years, but was brand new to Ammon...and SOOOOO EXCITING.  You would think it was Christmas morning he was so excited.  We labeled everything - his pencil box, his folders, his scissors, crayon box and even his pencils.  He had a blast.  He is certainly my child!!!  My favorite part of a new school year was all the cool school supplies!

Last night I had Ammon help me make two photo collages on my computer for his school binder (we got one of the presentation binders with the clear sleeves on the outside so you can make your own binder covers).  I already had the front cover mostly finished, but then had him give me input on what other photos he would want to have on there.  To say he enjoyed doing this is a major understatement.  After a few minutes he wanted to sit on my lap and do some of the work himself.  He kept saying, "I love this!" or "Awesome!"  Again.....he's totally my child.  He loved that we could crop the pictures into different shapes.  We had a cute picture of him and Grandma at the zoo cropped in the shape of a heart.  He used the star shape to crop a picture of a ship we saw when visiting Grandma & Grandpa in Port Huron last summer.  We were just about finished when I suggested we shift some things and crop one of the pictures of our little family in the shape of a heart.  He said "Awesome!" 

Once I did it, he excitedly said, "Mommy, I'm so happy that I think my eyes are starting to get watery.  Isn't that strange?" 

I heard Jared chuckle knowingly in the other room.

I said, "No sweetie, that's not strange at all.  That happens to me all the time when I'm happy!"

He asked, "But why?"

I then had to explain to him how sentimental and joyous times can cause people to cry.  And for some of us it doesn't take much!!!  Not much at all!  I didn't get the "Quick Crying" award at a Youth Group retreat in high school for nothing!!!  It looks like my little boy may have got the crying gene too!!  I won't name names, but I know of a couple of my relatives who are like that too!!

Anyway, Ammon had a wonderful time getting his things ready for school.  He was doing his own cute little happy dance and song as he waited for his two collages to print.  It was difficult settling him down for bed last night.

He did a great job getting off to school this morning and not clinging to me when it was time for me to leave him there in his classroom.  Whew! 

I had to pick him up a little early from school for an eye doctor's appointment.  He excitedly told me about his day.  He got to play with clay.  Not just ordinary play-doh!  That was a new and neat experience for him.

To the left is a picture of Ammon holding his new Lightening McQueen lunch box.

1 comment:

The Hamblin's said...

So cute!! I love that he got so excited about labeling everything, that's too cute!!