Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Strep Throat - FINALLY it's a Goner!!!

I took Ammon to his pediatrician today (Monday) for a recheck. The rapid strep test came back NEGATIVE. This is one time when a negative is a positive!!! Of course they will send it to the lab for the full 48 hr culture time, but we hope the negative reading holds.

I can't tell you HOW HAPPY Ammon was when he finished taking his last dose of the Clindamycin Friday night!! He was definitely doing the happy dance the next morning when he didn't have to take it!! But he wasn't such a happy camper having to get another throat swab today. When I told him we were going to the doctor for a recheck, he said, "Do I have to get a throat swab again?" I thought it was funny that he knew what to call it. The first 3-4 times this year he had to get a throat culture, he did fine because he really didn't know what was coming. Then he started to anticipate it, and that always makes it harder. Each time got harder. Today was the hardest. He just wouldn't open his mouth, or keep it open. Poor little guy - and poor nurse. I sure hope that's the last one he has to get for a VERY LONG TIME!!!!

I called the ENT's care coordinator to let her know the cardiologist gave the "all clear" and see if she had received the report with the echo and EKG yet. She hadn't yet received it. However, I found out that there's no way Ammon will be getting his tonsils/adenoids removed any sooner than Aug 5th. Dr. Passamani is on vacation this week and his next scheduled surgery day is Aug 5th. So.....I guess we can stop hoping and praying for an earlier surgery. However, we ARE going to pray he stays healthy and there won't be anything to prevent him from having the surgery on Aug 5th.

As we share such good news, my heart is heavy with concern for Ammon's best friend's family and his baby brother, Wyatt Geers. He has been struggling since birth with multiple problems, but last night they nearly lost him as he coded and had to be resuscitated and intubated. Fortunately, they got him to the hospital before that happened. I share this with you because I know we have such faith filled people reading this, and he and his family really need all the prayers they can get. If you'd like to read more about him, you can go to his care page (it's actually through the Caring Bridge website). http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/wyattmatthewgeers

Hopefully the next 10 days leading up to Ammon's surgery will be uneventful. If so, I won't be posting anything until I find out what time his surgery will be. They will call us the day before (probably late afternoon or early evening) to let us know. I hope this time his surgery is in the morning because it's much easier for him to fast overnight than all day long and the surgery is less likely to be delayed 4 hours like his surgery was last summer!!! That was awful.

Thank you for your prayers and your wonderful comments. My only complaint about this site is that I can't respond individually to each of your comments! Know that we read each one and appreciate them!! :)

Best wishes!
Suzie

No comments: