Sunday, May 17, 2009

Homemade Robot, 1st Poop on the Potty & Easter

Nice title for this post, huh? Well.....what can I say? I've truly let go of my need for these to be perfect!!!

Monday April 6th - Homemade Robot:
After spending Saturday and Sunday watching General Conference at the Snows, Ammon caught a little of the "robot addiction bug" from their grandson, Ryan. So on Monday morning I felt inspired to help Ammon make a homemade robot. Nothing fancy......
After we were finished with it Ammon said, "How do you make it work?" He was disappointed to find out it's not "a working robot" like Ryan and his Mommy (Amy) made.....or like the cool one Leslie bought that has a controller to make it walk and move. Once Ammon was able to accept that our homemade one wasn't a working robot, he had fun with it.
A VERY Good Good Friday:
On Good Friday (April 10th), Ammon FINALLY went poop on the potty for the very first time ever!!! He was playing in the living room and suddenly ran to the bathroom to go. He pooped right away. I made a huge deal about it and told him how proud I was!!! And I grabbed my camera and took a quick photo.....yeah...he's going to hate me for this one day!! But I couldn't resist. This was a big moment!
One of the first things he said was, "Now can I have my new orange race car?" Yep, we had been bribing him for a long time with a little Hot Wheels race car. I was so happy to finally be able to give it to him.

Now you'd think this was just the first of many poops on the potty.....but you'd be wrong, as was I! This was April 10th....the next time he went on the potty was May 2nd, and then not again until May 5th. And not again since then (huge sigh). I don't know what he's got against it, but he just doesn't want to poop on the potty. He can be in underwear all day and stay clean and dry. He refuses to poop on the potty. Instead he waits until we put a diaper on him at bedtime. We put him in bed and a little while later we hear, "Mommy, Daddy, I have a poop." I'd love to just stop putting a diaper on at bed, but he's not yet able to stay dry at night. So, we keep trying different tactics to get him to go on the potty, but so far we've had no luck.

At times like this I remember how hard I prayed when he was an infant about to have open-heart surgery: "Please, Heavenly Father.....let me keep my precious baby! Let him survive the surgery and be a healthy, strong little boy!" He's strong all right! He's got a strong will and mind of his own. And I'm so grateful every day that's he's here with us being an active, normal boy - and driving us nuts at times! I'd much rather this than the alternative!!!

April 11: Painting Easter Eggs
I was trying to figure out a way to let Ammon decorate Easter Eggs (the day before Easter....yeah...nothing like the last minute to consider this). I didn't want to buy those decorating kits and what we did last year was pretty boring for him (just setting eggs in cups with water and food coloring until they were the color you wanted). So, I used an ice cube tray and filled the little compartments with a tiny bit of water and several drops of food coloring (so it would be super concentrated). Then I got out some paint brushes and let him have fun painting the eggs. First he started out using his left hand to paint.

Then he used his right hand to paint.


Easter (April 12th):
Ammon had fun finding Easter Eggs on Easter morning. He was so excited when he woke up and we told him the Easter Bunny was here and left some eggs for him to find.

With Ammon's allergies to sugar, milk and fruit....we couldn't do the traditional "Easter Basket" filled with those types of goodies. My mom always has an Easter Egg hunt with plastic eggs she fills with candy and then gives each of the grand kids a basket filled with goodies. She was a little stumped this year as to what to do so Ammon wouldn't feel left out. She was brilliant! She filled the Easter eggs with coins instead of candy!! Great idea! All the kids loved that! And she gave Ammon a singing Easter Bunny that is hillarious, PlayDoh and some Hot Wheels cars. She hoped he would be distracted with the singing bunny and not notice the candy the other kids got. It worked great. He loved the bunny (as you'll see in the slide show).

Here's a slide show with pictures and video clips of Easter Morning (check out Ammon's excited laugh...pretty funny) and our Easter Dinner & gathering with my side of the family. This year we had everyone over to OUR house, because my mom's back yard was just dug up to put in a new sump pump drainage field, and her living room is furniture-less (she's waiting for her new furniture to arrive). We also had Mother's Day here because mom just planted grass seed in her yard and her new couch was out for repairs. We have to watch out.... I think my mom and Doreen are getting too used to us having all the parties instead of them!!!!! :)

Hope you enjoyed the slide show! Until next time.....

No comments: